The Ghetto and the Jewish Museum
One half of the exhibition is located in the north of the archipelago, in the Venetian Ghetto. Established by decree of Doge Leonardo Loredan in 1516, it was one of the first places where people were forcibly segregated because of religious difference. The term ‘ghetto’ itself originated here.
The first contemporary artist to create an exhibition in direct response to this extraordinary place, Edmund de Waal has installed a body of recent works in the Jewish Museum in the Campo of the Ghetto Nuovo.
Undetectable from the outside but discovered on the top floors of the museum’s buildings are five sixteenth-century synagogues. It is in the spaces surrounding the Canton Scuola, founded in 1531-2, that de Waal’s works are encountered.